HD Radio™ Multicast Channels: Niche Programming Choices for Every Musical Taste
Philadelphia, PA - 2009 NAB Radio Show - September 23, 2009 - iBiquity Digital Corporation, the developer of digital HD Radio™ Technology for AM and FM audio and data broadcasting, today highlighted the explosion of new programming choices exclusive to HD Radio Technology that radio broadcasters are rolling out across the U.S. in both markets big and small.
At a minimum, multicasting can double the number of choices available on the FM dial. HD Radio Technology enables an FM broadcaster to offer more than one program stream on its existing spectrum. Currently, more than 200 HD Radio stations offer two to three additional channels above and beyond their main digital station. Stations are using their HD2/HD3 multicast channels to create new music, news, talk, religious and sports formats to showcase young artists and local bands, offer non-English language programming, and so much more.
“With HD Radio Technology, consumers simply have more choices available to them; the HD2 and HD3 channels enabled by the technology are giving way to a variety of new, innovative niche programming not available on analog,” said Bob Struble, President & CEO of iBiquity. “By offering such content as the Mormon Channel, The Sound of the Strip, and all day coverage of the Pittsburgh Penguins, broadcasters are transforming these blank canvases to better serve the local tastes of individual markets. The ongoing success of multicasting is in broadcaster’s hands. Go wild!”
Something for Everyone
Fulfilling the promise of the power of HD Radio Technology, broadcasters are offering NEW hyper-targeted multicast channels to radio listeners.
- B96 Dance Channel – Chicago’s only pure dance radio station.
- Bluegrass Country – WAMU-FM’s Bluegrass Country 88.5-2, the 2009 National Association of Broadcaster’s HD Radio Multicast Award winner, features 70 weekly hours of content, including several local personalities hosting such programs as “The Katy Daley Show,” “The Ray Davis Show” and “Stained Glass Bluegrass.”
- Dallas Cowboys - 105.3 ‘The Fan’ is utilizing its HD3 channel to provide Cowboys and NFL talk and programming on a 24-hours-a-day basis.
- HumDesi – HumDesi is North America's first ethnic digital radio station broadcasting 24/7 South Asian programming in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Washington, D.C.
- Last.FM – Last.FM puts user-generated content on multicast channels of stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco.
- Mormon Channel – The Mormon Channel is the official radio station of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The channel originates from Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah and broadcasts 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Pittsburgh Penguins – Pittsburgh hockey fans have a new home on WXDX-FM’s HD2 channel, which offers all things Penguins and NHL – 24 hours a day – beginning with coverage of the team’s training camp this month.
- The Sound of the Strip – This Dallas channel brings a touch of Vegas to North Texas. Listeners will find themselves tapping, snapping and feeling like they have entered another era.
- ToNY – An 80’s rock station, ToNY is a play on ‘To-New York.’
- University of South Florida’s Bulls Radio - Formerly only heard on the AM dial, Bulls Radio is now on 88.5-HD2 so all of Tampa can hear. The channel plays college rock and new music, some public affairs and live USF sporting events.
- Pirate Radio (reggae), Christian Hip Hop, Psychic Radio, and more!
Thriving, Popular Formats
Fresh, creative and community-focused channels are rapidly growing in popularity.
- All Comedy Radio is a national radio network producing a 24/7 stream of carefully selected and edited comedy programming.
- eRockster plays a vast collection of on-air, online and on-demand content for music fans of all genres.
- ESPN Radio HD offers broadcasters the ability to create customized, localized ESPN channels from a vast library of ESPN’s audio and data content.
- Irish Channel launched in 2006 and continues to be a local Boston delight broadcasting 24 hours a day on 96.9 WTKK HD-2. The musical flavor of the Emerald Isle has never been better represented.
- PRIDE Radio is the prime entertainment destination for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. PrideRadio is a 24/7 streaming dance/pop hits channel with a gay sensibility, which is also carried on the HD-2 channels of selected stations.
- RadioYou Boston brings the youth back to radio where young people can tune in and hear others like them. Geared toward the 18-24 demo, the channel provides a home for young people who want to be on the radio or who want to share their viewpoint and love of music can do so.
- Verizon New Music features blocks of songs and interviews with hot new artists on 21 stations across the country.
- RIFF2 provides the best of Detroit's locals to gaming to industrial to metal to new music you haven't heard to techno.
The Return of Legendary Stations
Stations that were once long gone are now being revived on HD2.
- KSHE2 94.7-HD2 St. Louis – Offers legendary, free form classic rock cuts.
- WBCN 98.5-HD2 Boston – The rock format that had a home on analog for over 40 years lives on as WBZ-FM’s multicast channel.
- KROQ of the ’80s 106.7-HD2 – Sheds a spotlight on L.A.’s legendary rock station with a focus on the ’80s.
- K-Rock2 92.3-HD2 – Brings back New York's only Alternative!
- HFS2- 94.7-HD2 Washington - The Legendary HFS returned to Washington, DC at 94.7 HD-2 and is now HFS2!
For a full radio station guide with all the HD2s/HD3s available in your market, please visit:
About iBiquity Digital Corporation
iBiquity Digital Corporation is the developer of HD Radio™ technology, which is fueling the digital radio revolution in the United States and around the world. The digital technology enables broadcasters to offer new FM channels through multicasting, crystal-clear sound and data services on both the AM and FM bands – all free, with no subscription fee. Leading broadcasters, consumer electronics manufacturers, automakers and retailers are committed to HD Radio technology. iBiquity Digital is a privately held company with operations in Columbia, MD, Auburn Hills, MI, and Basking Ridge, NJ. For more information, please visit http://www.hdradio.com and http://www.ibiquity.com.
To arrange interviews or for additional information, please contact:
Note: “HD Radio™” and the HD Radio logo are proprietary trademarks of iBiquity Digital Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. The “HD” in HD Radio™ is part of iBiquity Digital’s brand name for its advanced digital AM/FM system. It does not mean hybrid digital or high-definition digital; both of these are incorrect.
###« View all News Releases