HD Radio Mobile Data Services
HD Radio Advanced Services technology provides a flexible digital pipe to the vehicle.
HD Radio benefits for Telematics include:
- A cost effective platform - HD Radio broadcast bandwidth is extremely cost effective due to low infrastructure and operating expense and extensive coverage;
- A broad technology appeal - HD Radio receivers will replace today’s analog AM/FM receivers as standard equipment;
- A broad coverage area - HD Radio broadcasts provide extensive and robust signal coverage in a mobile environment;
- A wide availability - As HD Radio receivers penetrate the mass market, lower costs will enable a proliferation of dedicated data receiver devices;
- Local appeal with national scope - HD Radio broadcasts are ideal for local information and can be networked to deliver regional and national services; and,
- A broad Consumer appeal - Consumers recognize the high value of HD Radio receivers and services. (2005 JD Power Automotive Emerging Technologies survey)
HD Radio broadcasters can offer drivers real-time traffic, weather and emergency information. Beyond data on the radio’s face plate, HD Radio technology makes possible advanced data services that will provide information to vehicles’ navigation systems to inform drivers about accidents and traffic flow information enabling drivers to select alternative routes. A list of current of iBiquity HD Radio data traffic partners is available in the broadcasters’ section of this site, please click here for that list
HD Radio Telematics services will include Traffic, Navigation, Automotive, Subscription Audio, Mobile Entertainment and Targeted Data Services. Utilizing the infrastructure of existing radio stations and the HD Radio Advanced Application Services platform, telematics services on HD Radio stations will provide nation wide coverage. HD Radio technology will provide automotive manufacturers and mobile service providers a direct way to connect to their customers through radio addressability and conditional access.
Several types of traffic and navigation support services will be provided on HD Radio technology:
- Traffic Message Channel (TMC) over HD Radio broadcasts for real-time traffic streaming data service that provides incident, flow and road information. For example, Clear Channel will offer traffic information via HD Radio by the end 2006.
- Traffic text-based streaming data service that provides text-based reports of accident information, flow information as well as traffic notices.
- Traffic data in objects files with graphics/JPEG images representing traffic incident and flow information delivery to in-vehicle multi-media display screens on non-navigation systems.
- Traffic database update service for mobile delivery of large files to on-board navigation system.
- POI updates for mobile delivery of local/regional points of interest information. Tremendous commercial opportunity for database and service providers – to provide a rotation of sponsored business.
- Automotive-based services including customer relationship management to deliver targeted messages to classes of vehicles on a regional basis.
- Customer retention programs to deliver targeted messages and incentives to targeted vehicles (such as new vehicles or classes of vehicles, like all leased vehicles).
- Fleet-specific services or private label service to deliver premium information to targeted vehicle platforms or fleets.